Alex D. Weatherby
Alex is a trial lawyer based in Atlanta, Georgia. He works to make lives better with honor, efficiency, and effectiveness. He offers legal representation for folks in catastrophic injury, truck accident, class action, and professional malpractice cases. Alex recovers millions of dollars for genuinely injured folks, and he defends honorable companies in need of legal help.
Recently, he was a lead attorney in a wrongful death trial that resulted in a verdict in excess of $27,000,000, which was one of the Top 20 verdicts in the nation for 2018.
Alex is the first lawyer in his family. His father is a plumbing contractor, and he encouraged Alex at a young age to go to college and graduate school. After working summers for his dad’s plumbing company, Alex was not hard to convince!
Alex has a great respect for construction workers, and those summers taught him a lot about a strong work ethic.
Alex graduated from Samford University, in Birmingham AL, and majored in Communication Studies. He focused on public speaking and critical writing, skills he still uses as a trial lawyer.
Alex is a seventh-generation Georgia and an Atlanta native, so he knew he wanted to come back home. Alex went to the University of Georgia School of Law. At Georgia Law School, Alex was a member of the mock trial board which helps law students with trial advocacy. Alex was also a member of the moot court board which focuses on appellate arguments. During his final year of law school, Alex received the “William King Meadow Award.”
Students and faculty vote to provide this award to “one student in the graduating class best-exemplifying integrity, responsibility, and high legal ethics, and who has the keen sense of humor necessary to bring a proper perspective to solving legal issues.” Alex still works to keep his sense of humor at all times and under all circumstances, which jurors, judges, and clients tend to like!
Alex began working with Pitts Carr in 2010. His practice focuses on helping folks who truly need it, in the most honorable way possible. Alex has extensive experience with catastrophic injury cases, including brain injury, spinal cord injury, wrongful death, truck accident, bus accident, bicycle accident, inadequate security (shooting at an apartment complex), legal malpractice, and medical malpractice.
When he is not lawyering, Alex works to give back to his community. He is a Board Member of the Professional Liability Section of the Georgia State Bar. He has taught several years as an adjunct professor at Georgia State University. He serves as the President of his Neighborhood Association, and he serves on the Administrative Council of his Church. Alex’s favorite thing to do is spend time with his two daughters, wife, and dog in their home in Decatur, Georgia.
Here are some of Alex’s example cases:
- $27,000,000+ Wrongful Death Verdict. In 2018, Alex obtained the second highest verdict in the state of Georgia and one of the top 20 car accident verdicts nationwide. Alex’s client lost his wife in a tragic traffic accident. Alex says, “There is nothing more rewarding than helping a family move forward, as best they can, from tragedy.”
- $25,000,000+ Class Action Settlement. Served as counsel in a nationwide class action asserting claims based on the Home Depot data breach in 2014.
- $2,250,000 Wrongful Death Settlement. In 2018, Alex obtained a policy limits settlement for our client in a wrongful death car accident. The only offer pre-suit was $250,000.
- $2,000,000 Paralysis Settlement. Alex obtained a policy limits settlement for a person who suffered partial arm paralysis, as the result of negligence.
- $1,400,000+ Class Action Settlement. In 2017, Alex served as a lead attorney in a nationwide class action to recover for spam text messages sent by Hooters.
- $700,000 Brain Injury Settlement. In 2019, Alex obtained a policy limits settlement for a child.
- Defense Cases. In the cases Alex defends, he has never had a case resolve for more than his valuation, by settlement or trial.
Alex specializes in the following practice areas.
- Georgia Truck Accident Lawyer
- Georgia Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Georgia Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Georgia Bus Accident Lawyer
- Georgia Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Georgia Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Georgia Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
- Georgia Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
- Georgia Burn Injury Lawyer
- Georgia Brain Injury Lawyer
- Georgia Shooting Victim Lawyer
- Georgia Crime Victim Lawyer
- Georgia Class Action Lawyer
- Georgia Defense Lawyer
- Georgia Legal Malpractice Lawyer
- Georgia Accountant Malpractice Lawyer
Honors and Awards
- 2019, Speaker, Continuing Legal Education for Lawyers and Professional Liability
- 2018-2019, Board Member, Georgia State Bar Professional Liability Section
- 2018, Speaker, Continuing Legal Education for Lawyers and Professional Liability
- 2015-2017, Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgia State University, Robinson College of Business