Atlanta Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
We specialize in catastrophic injury cases. These are cases with real, significant injuries. We do not do “had a wreck, get a check” law. Instead, we represent folks with genuine injuries, and companies with integrity. We have recovered millions of dollars for people, and we have defended companies in serious suits. We make lives better for folks who truly need it.
- Atlanta Accountant Malpractice Lawyer
- Atlanta Auto Accident Lawyer
- Atlanta Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Atlanta Brain Injury Lawyer
- Atlanta Bus Accident Lawyer
- Atlanta Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
- Atlanta Class Action Lawyer
- Atlanta Fire And Burn Injury Lawyer
- Atlanta General Liability Defense Lawyer
- Atlanta Insurance Coverage And Insurance Bad Faith Lawyer
- Atlanta Legal Malpractice Lawyer
- Atlanta Medical Malpractice Lawyer
- Atlanta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Atlanta Negligent Security Lawyer
- Atlanta Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Atlanta Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
- Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyer
- Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyer
What is a catastrophic injury?
When a person is injured in a truck accident, car accident, fire, apartment shooting, or similar accident, the person may suffer a serious injury to their body that is often referred to, in legal circles, as “catastrophic.”
Here are some examples of catastrophic injury cases that we have handled with success.
- Neck/Back Injuries resulting in infusions.
- Organ Damage.
- Ligament Tears
- Spinal Cord Injuries.
How do I know if I have a good personal injury case?
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident resulting in a serious (what we in the law label “catastrophic”) injury, one of the most challenging conversations to have with an attorney is the potential for recovery in your case.
The most important thing is for you to get better, and, at the same time, there is a need to honestly assess your ability to recover money for your injuries. How do you do that?
We often use the analogy of a three-legged stool. In order for a stool to stand, it needs at least three legs.
Similarly, a personal injury case (regardless if it is a brain injury, trailer wreck, bike accident, spine injury, or fatal accident case) requires three things.
- Liability: The accident must be due to someone else’s fault. For most catastrophic injury cases, the other party is required to have done something wrong in order for you to recover. This is not true for certain product liability cases, where there is “strict liability” or liability just because the accident happened. But, in a typical Atlanta tractor-trailer accident, for example, the truck wreck must be caused by the truck driver for there to be a recovery.
- Damages as a result of the Accident: The accident must have resulted in some injury to you. Having an accident, by itself, is not enough to recover financially from another party. There must be damages. In a personal injury case, this means there must be something physically that happens to you, as a result of the accident. For example, in an Atlanta brain injury case, the damage will be the diminished mental function, lost wages, medical expenses, and quality of life, of the plaintiff as a result of the accident.
- Solvency: The Defendant must have a resource that the plaintiff can recover. There is nothing sadder in our practice than when a person who is really hurt or a family of a wrongful death accident comes to us, and the Defendant has no source of recovery. Unfortunately, the Defendant has to have some funds (like insurance or property) for the plaintiff to recover.
If any of these three “legs” are not present, the personal injury case (like a stool) cannot stand.
If you think you have a truck wreck, wrongful death, bike accident, pedestrian accident, or catastrophic injury case, a knowledgeable Georgia attorney needs to review it to tell you for certain what you can and cannot likely recover.
How do we handle catastrophic injury cases in Atlanta?
When we are representing you in a case, you have our undivided attention. Our goal is to resolve the case as quickly and with the best result as possible.
We are dogged in our advocacy for our clients. At the same time, we strive to treat everyone with respect and kindness.
This includes opposing counsel, judges, the other parties, and clerical staff.
When receiving the case, we immediately ensure that all relevant evidence is preserved.
This includes traveling to the scene of the accident, if appropriate. We will assist you in all pre-litigation efforts, including negotiating with the other side to see if a resolution is possible without litigation.
Litigation is about the worst way you can resolve a dispute. However, if necessary, we are ready and able to litigate the case all the way through trial and appeal.
We have tried over 100 jury trials, handled numerous appeals, and fought for justice for our clients. We would welcome the opportunity to do the same for you.
What type of treatment should be received in catastrophic injury cases?
A person should only receive treatment recommended by their doctor and reasonably necessary for rehabilitation.
We have a team of legitimate doctors (such as, neurologists, neurosurgeons, radiologists) who can provide you with the best medical opinions and treatment options possible under the circumstances.
Some attorneys out there promise big paydays by sending their clients to doctors that provide them with overpriced and unnecessary medical treatment. We never do this.
All medical bills are required to be reasonable in order for a recovery to be had.
And, at the end of the case, medical bills (or a portion thereof) must be repaid. So, all that unnecessary and high priced treatment does nothing but increase the attorney’s fees and decrease the client’s take-home pay. It only benefits the lawyer.