Here at Carr & Weatherby, we care deeply about the homeless population in Atlanta. We have had the privilege of serving our homeless population in a number of cases, including securing millions of dollars for the families of homeless victims killed in fatal accidents in Atlanta
. We have also worked on cases involving homeless persons and truck accidents
and other wrongful death
cases. We have also worked extensively with the Atlanta Mission
, which provides food and shelter for the homeless in our area, and we want to help in our own way. Because of this, we have created a Scholarship for At-Risk Youth, which we hope can help create a brighter future for deserving students pursuing their dreams.While one may associate homelessness with older adults, youth may also find themselves without a secure place to live. When a young person has no home, or worries about where they will sleep that night, education often becomes an afterthought. That’s why we have created the Carr & Weatherby Scholarship for At-Risk Youth. We want to give back to the community by offering help to students who are homeless or who have experienced homelessness, including at-risk, foster care and/or youth with critical financial needs.
THE DEADLINE FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP IS JANUARY 1, 2020.
1. You are either accepted to or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university within the United States.
2. You have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
3. You must submit an official copy of your transcript, your completed application, and your essay using the online form. Essays are to be no more than 250 words.
In order to be considered for the Carr & Weatherby Scholarship for At-Risk Youth, you must write an essay on one of these topics:
In what ways has homelessness, or the threat of being homeless, shaped your goals and priorities, including your education?
How have you overcome a particular challenge associated with being homeless/at risk for homelessness?
In what ways would a college education change your life and, in turn, the lives of your loved ones and others around you?
Terms and Conditions:
1. All decisions of Carr & Weatherby, LLP are final. By your participation, you – and, if you are a minor, your parent or guardian agree to be bound by these Terms & Conditions,
2. Scholarship open to all students attending an accredited college or university in the United States. Applicant must be a student at an accredited college or university, or be accepted to begin school at an accredited university within 6 months of application.
3. The scholarship is limited to one (1) student per year, chosen solely at the discretion of Carr & Weatherby, LLP. The scholarship is limited to one (1) single payment of ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND ZERO CENTS ($1,000.00). The payment will be made via check from Carr & Weatherby, LLP to the order of accredited college or university and provided to the recipient, whose sole responsibility it is for delivery. The recipient will be required to provide proof to Car & Weatherby, LLP of use of the scholarship money for payment of tuition, within 30 days of the date of receipt of the payment. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the scholarship, and the recipient will be required to return the funds to Car & Weatherby, LLP.
4. The student must provide proof of attendance in an accredited college or university within the United States, to the satisfaction of Carr & Weatherby, LLP. THE CE
5. You hereby agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless Carr & Weatherby, LLP, and their officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives, from any and all claims, liabilities, actions, causes of actions, losses, and damages of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, past, present or future, related in any way to your participation in this Application, Scholarship, or your acceptance, possession, use, misuse, or loss of the Scholarship,
6. You recognize and agree that Carr & Weatherby, LLP may use your essay, as well as you as your name, likeness, voice, biographical information, and statements, for advertising and promotional purposes. You hereby authorize Carr & Weatherby, LLP to do so. If you are selected as the recipient, tou specifically agree to provide Carr & Weatherby LLP with a photograph for use in advertising and promotional purposes in connection with this scholarship.
7. Governing Law. You hereby agree that this Scholarship, its terms and conditions, and any and all disputes between you and Carr & Weatherby, LLP and their officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives, are governed by the laws of the State of Georgia. You agree that exclusive jurisdiction over any legal action arising out of or in connection with this matter will be in state or federal courts located in Fulton County, Georgia, and by submitting an application you consent to such jurisdiction and venue.
8. Privacy Statement: We will not sell the information you submit with your scholarship application to any third parties. The information you submit will be used only for determining the scholarship recipient and deleted after the selection period. Scholarship award recipient information may be used for public relations purposes, as detailed above.
9. NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT: The winner of the scholarship will be determined by a selection committee set up by Carr & Weatherby LLP, said selection will in no way be influenced by gender, race, national origin, sexual preference or any criteria other than the meeting of the application requirements and our committee’s evaluation of the essay attached with the application.10. These terms and conditions contain the entire agreement between you and Carr & Weatherby, LLP and supersede all other understandings, whether oral or written. This agreement cannot be altered in any way, except by written agreement signed by Carr & Weatherby, LLP